Friday, November 16, 2012

Why Buy Expensive, Sugary Smoothies; Make Your Own!

Back when I was a university student, I'd often drink sugary smoothies marketed towards the "healthy lifestyle crowd". This is nothing more than marketing; having one of these smoothies everyday is not healthy for your body or for your finances either. Each 20 oz. drink at the smoothie shop on campus (I won't name names since I'm not trying to get sued here) cost about $5, had a whopping 500 calories, and contained loads of sugar!

Instead of taking in all of the sugar and draining my wallet, I decided to buy a blender and start making my own smoothies. At first, this may seem more expensive due to the costs of buying a blender and ingredients, but in the long run, you will save money and cut back on the calories and sugar. How much you save depends on what you like to put in your smoothies, but personally, I save at least $100 monthly, intake less than half of the calories with each homemade smoothie and under one fourth of the sugar!

If you love smoothies as much as I do, look into making them for yourself; you won't regret it! In the future, I may post some smoothie recipes that you might want to try for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment